|porch view. 6pm today.|
In any event, here are ten of my favorite foods from then, and now.
1. macaroni and cheese, custard-style.
2. swedish meatballs. such a favorite I asked for this at my 16th birthday party.
3. cornish game hens, with cornbread stuffing and an orange glaze. I remember this as our standard Christmas Eve dinner in my high school years.
5. zucchini fritters. Mother had a vegetable garden when we lived in New Jersey (my high school and college years). Of course she grew zucchini and of course there was too much. I remember an entire meal of zucchini fritters...just us...one summer when I was home from college. (that might be the closest we came to a popcorn meal :-)
6. chicken and dumplings.
7. eggnog french toast. this recipe is really easy and it uses dairy eggnog. what a holiday treat it was!
8. taco salad. do y'all remember this one? fritos and catalina dressing ... I haven't had it in years, but it always seemed like a special occasion when she made it.
9. marinated grilled chicken. I do not have this recipe. I'm not even sure it is a recipe. but she'd marinate all the chicken parts in a mixture of (I think) white wine, lemon juice, oil, and LOTS of herbs. and then grill it over a slow heat. I remember having this fairly often during the summer, and I probably didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.
10. baked fish. a fairly recent addition to her repertoire and one she always makes when I visit now. It's especially good with catfish or salmon and I try not to think about the mayonnaise in the topping.
p.s. we rode in the caboose today.
|I promise Charlie did smile...just not for the camera!|
Thank you Carole for the delicious walk down memory lane! If you're not already part of the Ten on Tuesday fun, click here to join.