|Sara & Katie - Thanksgiving, 1998|
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
...on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, it's probably no surprise that my works-in-progress are more focused on food than on knitting. (although I did get Charlie's holiday sweater blocked - it's still drying - and I added inches to Sara's cowl...but that will be another post!)
I talked yesterday about "new traditions" and a few of those are wrapped into tomorrow's meal. New recipes....and most of it cooked just by me. I don't remember the last time I cooked the meal by myself. I'm honestly not sure I ever did. In the years before Katie and Sara helped, I'm pretty sure Marc was there... for sure he cooked the turkey.
In recent years, I took over the turkey (and even the gravy, which surprised everyone, especially me!), but the girls were there along with me. Sara took a lead role with vegetables and desserts (always her specialty) and Katie made sides (butternut squash mac and cheese!) and apple pie.
I'm not sure exactly what inspired a toss up this year...maybe it was just time?! But it's just the five of us...small numbers are perfect for trying out new things! (especially when they're family!)... and it won't all be new - there will be turkey and the cranberry sauce Sara found two years ago and the green beans Katie found a few years before that...but just about everything else will be new. It feels weird but also happy to let go those recipes that anchored the holiday (obviously, we weren't really that attached to anything!)
One more thing that's new this year is the schedule. In all the past years, we've done everything (except for Sara's desserts) on Thursday. This year, we're hoping to spend the day not cooking ... which means I needed to get a big head start today. I think I got it all done.
but now it's nearly 9pm ... I hear the garage door...Sara is home...and whatever I didn't get done today...will have to get done tomorrow!
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
...with Thanksgiving just two days away, it's no surprise today's topic is about being thankful. I certainly have plenty to be thankful for - family, health, home, friends, faith - and I am so very grateful for all of it. Here's a taste of a few specific things I said "thank you" for in the last 24 hours:
on the trail at Webb Bridge Park
2. Webb Bridge Park. I took the photo above on Saturday afternoon when Katie and I were there for a run/walk (yay!). It's close (ten minutes) and beautiful in all four seasons.
3. Friends to walk with. Lauren and Katie and Virginia...and Holly (always!).
4. The smell of "real" pumpkin spice in my kitchen. There's a pumpkin creme brulee cooking in the oven right now (seasoned with vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg) and pumpkin oatmeal cranberry muffins cooling on the counter.
5. Carla, my hairdresser for more than 25 years. (remember that scary numbers post a few weeks back? yep, it was five weeks ago...and I paid Carla another visit this morning!) We've been friends through pregnancies, babies, school, college, weddings and grandchildren. All my good hair days are a credit to her skill with the dye and the scissors.
6. New Thanksgiving traditions. New recipes (mostly prepared today and tomorrow), a new baby, a daughter flying in tomorrow night, father-in-law/son-in-law golf.
7. Old Thanksgiving traditions. Wednesday lunch with my sister and my folks at Village Tavern (known for its crab dip...and half-price wine Wednesdays), all the other family get-togethers while my parents visit, the Macy's parade on the DVR so we can skip the commercials.
8. Leftovers. We're still finishing Sunday's brunch. It's down to salad and ham sandwiches, but it's turkey...and it doesn't require cooking!
9. The weather. Not too hot and not too cold and hopefully not wet (at one point over the weekend there was snow in tomorrow's forecast...thankful that was wrong!)
10. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (aka Flavia de Luce #1). Borrowed from the library and enjoying immensely. Love a new series, especially one I didn't buy!
...and there you have it. Plenty to be thankful for! What are you saying "thank you" for today?
Monday, November 24, 2014
...My mom and dad got to meet Charlie for the first time Friday evening. It was so great to share their excitement.
My dad with Katie and Charlie
We were all together again yesterday (the sangria was delicious!) and this time we tried for a "real" photo. My sister was shooting with my dad's camera and I had my phone. Between the two of us, I think we have a handful of good ones. But wow, it's hard to get three people to all look good for one photo...especially when one of them is just ten weeks old!
No matter. These are my six favorites - every one of them shows a smile...on at least one face!
Sunday, November 23, 2014
...a sure Day to Celebrate - Today, I borrowed my first ebook from the library. When I queued all six of the Flavia de Luce books last weekend, I figured it was a very long shot I'd be able to read them in order. But #6 arrived first, followed the next day by #4 and #5 and I knew I couldn't do it that out of order. I called the library to release the holds. I was sure I'd pickup the series ... later.
So I was delighted to see the email this afternoon about #1 being available...as an ebook. I only hope I can finish it in 14 days (when I guess it turns into a pumpkin and disappears?)
...and then I have #2 and #3 coming...but I'm going to have to re-subscribe to 4,5 and 6.
Is it just me (or my library) or is library reading harder than I remember?
p.s. I read the first chapter and I'm delighted...anticipate no issues finishing this first one in 14 days!