Monday, February 6, 2017

Karen's Fiftieth.


We celebrated my sister (I guess we can still call her the baby of the family even now that she's 50?!) Saturday evening with a fun group of family and friends.

Karen and Lydia
And of course cocktails and party food. The highlight of the bar was champagne punch (I followed the recipe exactly, except I made an ice ring instead of cubes - highly recommend - easy and delicious!)

For the food, I went with a throwback theme - potato chips and onion dip, pigs in blankets, cocktail meatballs. you get the idea.


My mom couldn't attend the party, so she sent gifts. Karen had a great time opening them (a mix of funny, thoughtful and beautiful); it was perfect party entertainment!

Of course the cake was the main event. Completely inspired by Karen's 14th birthday cake (my mom baked that one) and a vintage copy of Bon Appetit (that's also where I found the meatball recipe - chili sauce and grape jelly ftw!)




Of the 50 or so photos that were on my phone from the party, easily half were of me, Karen and Steve, trying for a decent sibling photo. Hands down, these two were my favorite.


Clearly we don't know how to have fun together!

p.s. Congratulations to the Patriots and all their fans - it was a good game ... we just enjoyed the first half more than the second đŸ˜‰

15 comments:

  1. Oh it looks like such fun! I love the pics of the three of you.

    I enjoyed the first half of the game more too ...

    Happy 50th to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much to love here! That you threw a party for your baby sister, that you, Karen, and Lydia all wore your pearls, the delicious food and amazing cake, and your wonderful sibling relationships. Wishing Karen a very happy birthday and a wonderful year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you made the cake!!!! Best part! Well . . . except maybe those sibling shots. I love photos that really show the . . . interactions . . . of the folks in the photo. What a fun celebration, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful party! (Pigs in blankets...my all time favorite!) You must have had a very fun evening. And I'm sorry about your team, our roller coasters going in opposite direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sibling photos-what fun! Sending Happy Birthday wishes to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like such a fun night, thanks for sharing the photos and stories about it. I love your sibling photos and I can't get over how much Karen and Sarah look alike. As for that game last night, I thought you guys had it in the bag. What a turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous pictures - especially the ones of the three of you. Happy birthday to Karen! Your food and beverages look great (I love 19 Crimes). Fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic party! And, happy birthday Karen! And, really - you clearly have perfected "having fun"!! Thank you for sharing! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Celebrating a sister's birthday in such a fun and charming way looks like a grand way to show love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How brilliant to start the week looking at such happy photos of lovely, loving people! You did a great job with that birthday cake - how clever you are. At the end of a working day, that's quite lifted my spirits popping in here :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This whole post just radiates joy! What a great celebration! And oh that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was spectacular fun-as usual :-). I love when the best photos are often the "unposed" ones-you get to capture someone's personally much better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You throw a great party! Congrats to you and to Karen on her big 5-0! Loved seeing the throwback photos and the contemporary ones...a treasure. Thanks for sharing Karen's b'day with us...and we were sad the Falcons losed (misspell intended)!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Karen!! What a great party -- I love all of your food choices/inspiration! And, oh my goodness, our sibling photos are all just like that!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This just made me smile ... you all have the most beautiful smiles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!