Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Tuesdays with Charlie | Iggy Peck.

When Charlie pulled out the blocks last week, he said "let's play Iggy Peck". Ok! Last week's play mostly consisted of putting the blocks back into the box (I'll never complain about putting toys away, but really, it wasn't all that....fun).

But this week, I was treated to a "tall tower" that took at least 15 minutes to build :-) It was cool, too, that Charlie built it on the floor, so there was never any worry it might topple over.
I texted Katie one of those nearly-done photos and she replied "Type A? He loves to line things up and organize!" I'm thinking two-year old boys could do a lot worse!

Also, I'm always really happy that Charlie enjoys putting away the blocks just as much as loves dumping them out and playing with them.

And of course, if you play Iggy Peck, you want to read the book. But Iggy Peck is not on our shelves. We looked at the library (on-line) and couldn't find a copy there either.  But it's on the shelf in Charlie's room at home. We got there a few minutes early this afternoon and had time to read the book...
and be silly!

I love that Charlie is playing the character in a book. I have no idea what kind of book play I might've been doing at age 2, but I remember playing Laura (not Mary :-) from Little House on the Prairie in 4th grade.

I'd love to hear - what characters have you played? or did your kids play?


11 comments:

  1. Erin loved to be Max from Where the Wild Things Are . . . but she always joined us for dinner. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot remember being two but I remember being three and my baby sister was to come home from the hospital and my dad was putting all of my toys away in the wrong places. (I was having a mini melt down over it). Both of my kiddos loved blocks and building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tower! I had never heard of Iggy Peck -- will have to keep this in mind for some Christmas gifts. I can't remember Colin wanting to be any particular character. I, on the other hand, wanted to be Pippi Longstocking or Nancy Drew and then I wanted a mouse for a pet just like Stuart Little (got a hamster instead - lol).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister always wanted to be Lassie when we played because we grew up just a few miles from Eric Knight's house. It was a sad day when my mother explained she would not be a dog when she grew up. I was Pippi Longstocking, Claudia from The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Fern from Charlotte's Web, Arrietty from The Borrowers, and of course, Nancy Drew. We played books a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a lady in our neighborhood I used to visit (8-9-10?)and she had wide curving cement steps. I remember running down them and thinking I was Cinderella each and every time I left that home. She made the best blonde brownies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure who I played at age 2 but in elementary school, read a series: Childhood of Famous American books and certainly, I was all of them...especially Louisa Mae Alcott, HarrietTubman, etc. I have most vivid memories. Hooray for Charlie and Iggy Peck. Wonder if Chris knows that book - guess I'll ask.
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  7. At two I played "Jack and Jill went up the hill". I even have a picture of me with a pail. How fun to see Charlie play!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Great post! I too longed to be Halfpint! However, my favorite was to be the Cap Peddler from Caps for Sale - my kids loved the story especially when they could all be the monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you and Charlie had another great day together. I used to play Mary from Little House ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! My sister and brother used to play "John & Joe." Not based on anything in particular, that I'm aware of. They'd go fishing (off the basement steps) and even blasted off in a spaceship to the moon (which, thank goodness, my dad filmed on Super 8 -- no sound, but you really don't need it!!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iggy Peck sounds like a very fun character.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!