I was late to this party, but ... finally, I watched The Crown. and yes, everyone was right - it's excellent. I loved pretty much everything about it. The story (of course! I'm a huge Anglophile and a real fan of Queen Elizabeth, especially since reading Andrew Marr's biography), the sets, the acting and the time period. Pure nostalgia (is that possible since I wasn't actually alive during the 1950's?), but a few episodes in, I started a list of things I wished were still around. And since it's Friday, here are my top five:
1. Telephone calls that aren't instantaneous. It took real effort to make a connection and it seems like the resulting conversations were more meaningful.
2. Silk scarves tied under the chin to keep the 'do in place. I could've used one today!
3. Hats. They really complete the outfit (for women and men).
4. Waists. and high-waisted trousers or full skirts to show them off.
5. Multi-stranded pearls. This one's a cheat since they're obviously still around...but they're certainly not as common in my everyday life as they are in Elizabeth's. Nevertheless, I've made a point of wearing mine more since I watched.
What was your favorite period element about the show? (or maybe there was something you really hated?) Please share.
Regardless, Happy Friday...and Happy Weekend!