Saturday, May 26, 2007

not so much a green thumb.

...is how I would describe my gardening approach. I am all about quick results and not too much (maybe more like no) dirt under my nails.

Maybe uncharacteristic for one (me) who isn't a gardener, but I have been planful about the summer planting. Observing the light patterns for the planting areas - my deck, my mailbox and my front porch. Because the patterns have changed a lot since we moved into the house 20+ years ago. And no photos to show it right now, but my memories are of scorched earth - 100%+ sun all day long - portulaca blossomed and everything else wilted....

So now the trees are so much grown up, but we've re-done the deck, and the light patterns are different...even since 2005 when I last planted (I skipped last summer because we did a major remodel and planted pots would've been a waste!)

And I'm sure my tastes have changed. I love the bright, exuburant colors of the tropical flowers - hibiscus, bouganvilla, mandevilla. and I've come to love the purples and oranges of new guinea impatiens.

So ... the before (just two shots because it's embarrassing how bad I let it get!):



the overwhelming choices at Lowe's:


and the after:




and it was delightful to sit outside this evening before dinner, reading, with a glass of wine, and enjoy the summer air and the daylight through the trees.

1 comment:

  1. The pots look great. My yard work is done, and I get two days to play. Have been to the pool a couple times. The photo at Rancho Grande is great. The Katie tracker map is very cool!

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!