1. the planning - it's one of my favorite things about fall. making lists, poring over magazines, cookbooks and blogs, emails and phone calls. ...and I love that my girls are both planners right along with me!
2. the cooking. once the girls got interested, we made this a real group effort. we start early, make a huge mess and finish around noon or 1pm. perfect timing to clean up and enjoy a glass of wine before the meal.
|cooking with sara, thanksgiving 2008|
3. time with my family. my parents always visit (and stay with my sister :-) and the ten days or so that they're here is a whirlwind of shared meals, college football and photo opportunities.
4. family traditions. marc & I hosted our first thanksgiving in 1985. a blend of what we'd grown up with and a few of our own ideas. I love that we now have "our" thanksgiving (what we eat, when we eat, where we eat, what we wear...) katie is having her first thanksgiving this year. and I love seeing how she's making it hers (with rob).
5. setting the table. I have a mix of serving pieces from my mom and my grandmothers, as well as a few things I've collected - silver, china, blue ridge and stengl pottery and depression glass. love how it all looks together and the memories those different pieces carry with them.
6. the macy's parade - so glad we have a tv in the kitchen so I don't have to miss a second of it - and then friends' thanksgiving episodes.
7. pecan pie, pumpkin cheesecake and something warm with apples. all for dessert at one meal!
8. leftovers. I'm sure I'll be tired of turkey and stuffing and cranberries at some point next week, but right now, the thought of not cooking again for a few days is wonderful.
9. the friday after - putting up our tree and officially starting the christmas season.
10. making memories for my girls. I'd forgotten a few of the details from even these past few years. but sara hasn't. and I doubt katie has either. and even if all those memories aren't the best, it's important to have them. it makes us a family.
...and I am so very thankful for all of these things - the shared love of family and friends, an abundance of delicious food and beautiful memories.
Go here if you would like to sign up for the Ten on Tuesday mailing list.