Thursday, January 26, 2012

cranberry cornmeal muffins.

...quick bread #1 from my fifty for 50 list (item #2 in the because it's fun category is to bake 12 new (to me) quick breads).
71:365 cranberry cornmeal muffins.
vanessa and beth came over this morning for our first discussion about power of a praying woman. and a meeting like that always calls for a quick bread. today I tried a recipe from the pioneer woman.
cranberry cornmeal muffins
ingredients assembled
I didn't change much except to add fresh chopped cranberries in place of half the dried cranberries (and next time, I'd use only fresh) and - of course! - I didn't make the butter. the instructions weren't clear on how to mix the wet and dry ingredients. I added the dry to the wet - all at once, and stirred to combine before adding the melted shortening, then the vanilla and finally the cranberries and pecans. I also held out a tablespoon of the dry ingredients and tossed it with the cranberries before I added them so they didn't all sink to the bottom.
cranberry cornmeal muffins
cranberries and pecans stirred in last
I don't have any mini loaf pans, so I made muffins. and I only wanted a dozen, but I had enough batter left over for another two or three.
cranberry cornmeal muffins
ready for the oven
delicious - love the tang of the fresh cranberries and the texture of the cornmeal. I'll definitely make them again (after I try 11 more new recipes!)
cranberry cornmeal muffins

5 comments:

  1. They sound and look delicious. Fresh cranberries are always the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...may i have a couple? Bet they'll freeze well, too.
    Congrats; one own, eleven to go!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious! Love that Pioneer Woman..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've taught you well. But shortening? They do look delicious, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!