...Carole's prompt this week has us thinking about waiting rooms...and how to pass the time. I've had a good bit of experience with that in the past few years so I'm happy to share, but also, wow, I hope it's a long time before I have to put much of this into practice ... except for the upcoming Baby T (less than six weeks?! oh my!!)
1. knitting. one of the big reasons I am not a monogamous knitter is that I love to knit all the time. and different situations call for different types of knitting. waiting room knitting needs to be almost mindless...but not quite. flat stockinette (knitting and purling), or garter with an easy pattern or even a vanilla sock (tiny needles?) all fit the bill.
2. reading. preferably on the iPad so when you finish the book that you thought would take two more days, you have another one at your fingertips.
3. crossword puzzles. I am not a fan, but wow, my mom is. and the iPad app for the NYTimes puzzle is really fun. This might be a good one to share with someone else ... who regularly works crosswords.
4. journaling. spend five minutes making a list of things you love. things that make you laugh. things that ...
5. postcards. or letters. catch up with your pen pals.
6. the waiting room magazines. I'm not even going to wait to list this last. because you need to do this. it's fun to see what the office/hospital/other patients leave behind. and sometimes you can get really up-to-date on the latest whatever...or the best place to buy a retirement home in Florida.
7. people-watching. hum. only made #7. note that I don't even have "talk to the person next to you" on my list.
8. podcasts/audiobooks. low down on my list because I think you need to be present. and earbuds just aren't that. but for the long-haul, especially in a crowded room, this could be a lifesaver.
and if your waiting room has wifi,
9. blogs. it's especially fun to just click all the links and see where you end up (I dare you not to end up subscribing to at least a few!)
10. ravelry. suddenly the black hole doesn't seem quite so black!