1. Don Tillman (The Rosie Project). He'll be in charge of the drinks. (note that I couldn't think of a single person to invite who could help me in the kitchen...)
2. Robert Langdon. Hopefully he really does look like Tom Hanks and he'll be charming and interesting.
3. Cormac O'Connor (Forever). He'll have wonderful stories to tell. and I know he can make himself comfortable in all manner of situations.
4. Hermione Grainger. I challenged myself to allow only one character from any favorite book. And I think she'd be most likely to help make the party a success. She might even have a few tricks up her sleeve to ensure it!
5. Father Tim. If he pressed, I'd probably have to extend the list to 11 and invite Cynthia too. And yes that would be breaking my rule (see #4 above) ... and Carole's limit of ten. But I can't imagine anyone would mind. He'll find something pleasant to talk about with everyone and if there are unpleasant moments, I'll count on him to smooth them over.
6, 7, 8. Hercule Poirot. Aurelio Zen. Dr. Watson (Carole was clear that our fictional characters needed to come from books and I figured that meant Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't going to show up if I invited Sherlock Holmes. darn it!) I hope my guests don't get spooked...or maybe there really will be a murder. solved. with panache. before dessert is served.
9. Flavia DeLuce. Thinking she'll find she has something in common with everyone. And if there really is a murder to solve before dessert...my bet's on her!
10. Bertie (44 Scotland Street). A bit of a risk since I last read about him as a six year old (granted he's only turning seven in the latest book, but ... it's been nine books since he was introduced) He's musical and precocious and I surely hope not a picky eater.
I'm glad Carole didn't ask us to share our menu or any other party plans. I have no idea what I'd serve...
This was a lot of fun - I'm looking forward to seeing who you've invited (and what tips you have to make sure the dinner is a success!) Thanks, Carole for facilitating the party planning.
If you'd like to play along, click here to join the Ten on Tuesday fun!
y'all didn't think I'd close without a photo did you?
|cute cardigan knitted by my sister, Charlie's great aunt Karen|