Tuesday, January 18, 2011

10 favorite games from my childhood.

playing cards with my dad, originally blogged here
...what a fun topic! games were big in my family. we played a lot. and a few of us were pretty competitive about it :-)

1. cards - from go fish when I was young to rummy and then hearts and spades when I was a teenager. my grandmother attempted to teach me bridge at least twice and sadly, I never got it. I have a terrible memory for the cards that have been played so it makes "strategy" hard.

2. candy land and chutes and ladders - favorite first board games. I loved the cards in candy land, especially the gum drops.

3. monopoly.

4. life - the newer versions aren't nearly as much fun as the one I remember playing with the cars that had little holes for you to place the blue pegs for baby boys and the pink ones for girls.

5. yahtzee - I first remember playing this with my grandfather on a family vacation to the ozark mountains in arkansas when I was seven or eight.

6. cribbage - the different boards are so much fun.

7. twenty questions - still a favorite for car trips.

8. sorry.

9. parchesi - now I can't even remember what this game was about. a board, pegs, cards maybe? but the name has stayed with me.

10. solitaire - I knew a lot of versions in addition to the traditional one with seven piles. there was a pyramid one and one where you laid out all 52 cards in four rows. that one took a lot of table or floorspace, because of course I played with real cards!

I'm short on time this morning, so apologize for the absence of links...but looking forward to checking out a few of my favorites on line to see if they still exist! this was fun - thanks, carole!

Go here if you would like to sign up for the Ten on Tuesday mailing list.

7 comments:

  1. I love that photo, and your list is great. This could be one of my favorite topics ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We played all kinds of card games. I knew different kinds of Solitaire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Carole - what a great photo! And I totally forgot about Yahtzee. My grandma and grandpa were big Yahtzee players and that was a fun treat when I visited them in the summer. We'd have a bowl of ice cream and play Yahtzee before bed. Thanks for helping me recall a great memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, love the photo. my list will be very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn, I forgot Candy Land, I knew there was one I couldn't think of. And Cribbage. We always played Cribbage with my father.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that picture!! we loved parchesi too. i think it was similar to sorry but i remember a red cardboard canister that you shook the dice in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fantastic picture. I really thought it was a posed shot from a magazine when I first saw it. What a great keepsake of your dad!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!