...this week Carole's asked us to share about our weekends. It wasn't a holiday for either of us yesterday (although school was out so we had a holiday from traffic which was pretty sweet), and today is a dreary rainy Tuesday. The weekend already seems like a long time ago, but here are the top ten things I remember:
- Friday night was our usual pizza and wine and we watched Monuments Men. We both enjoyed the movie; it's a great story with a really fun cast, including George Clooney, Matt Damon and Bill Murray.
- Saturday morning I went for a solo run, my first in many weeks. The early morning rain left signs of fall on the sidewalk
- I met Virginia for coffee and knitting and a nice long catch-up.
- Then we toured the soon-to-open Whole Foods Market (it opens today). This store is five miles from my house; I expect I'll be a frequent visitor! Can't wait to try the cappucino or the wine & tapas bar that overlooks the store (there's also a cooking school up there).
- Marc and I ate turkey sandwiches (on a fresh whole wheat baguette...one of several delicious takeaways from the Whole Foods tour... I guess I should add I'm excited about the food there, too!) for dinner and watched the last two episodes of Masters of Sex Season 2. We really enjoyed the first season, but wow, the second was so much better.
- (this is where I might include something about football...but I don't really want to remember anything about football from this weekend).
- Sunday morning's service centered around Family Promise, the homeless ministry we joined in 2012. Once a quarter, we host a few families (typically mothers and children) for a week. One of the women who was part of the program and has now been in permanent housing for nearly a year spoke; it was quite moving to hear her story. Did y'all know that the average age of a homeless person in the US is nine? It's scary and sad.
- Sunday afternoon it stormed; the golf course closed for lightning, so Marc was home (that's weird on a weekend afternoon!) I spent the afternoon stitching and knitting and listening to back episodes of The Readers (my latest favorite podcast about books and reading).
- The rain subsided for a bit - see? blue sky! Holly and I went for a walk, which was really just an excuse for me to start listening to Sense of an Ending.
- Happy to report that - although we did watch TV (all caught up now for the series finale of Boardwalk Empire) while we ate - Sunday dinner was a homecooked hot meal! Shrimp and grits...and it was tasty!
And that's it. Nothing too exciting (but then again, that's pretty normal!) How about you, did you do anything exciting this weekend?
one last look...from Sunday's walk