I guess she knew what was in store. The girls had a big surprise for me! and a delightful kickoff to this year's birthday week (we all have birthday weeks, right?)
This is the table just after class. Plenty of project bags, WIPs and potential projects is typical, along with the Starbucks cups. But that empty bottle of Prosecco, half-empty bag of parmesan crisps, still-nearly-full tray of White Chocolate Popcorn and half-eaten carrot cake ... not so much! We had a very fun time; and thankfully no knitting crises that kept me from fully enjoying all of it.
Denise even brought me a personal gallon-sized bag of the popcorn (I might've had a little bowl for breakfast...isn't that what birthdays are for?) It's a favorite treat for the care packages she sends her kids every quarter or so. She always makes extra for class. Needless to say, we love care packages! She shared the recipe a few years back and I'm sure she wouldn't mind me sharing it with y'all:
Denise's White Chocolate Popcorn
1 large bag (regular size not single serve) microwave popcorn, popped (remove the unpopped kernels)
2-3 C Honey Nut Chex or Rice Chex cereal or a mixture of both
A handful or two of broken up pretzels
12-oz pkg white chocolate chips
2 T vegetable oil
12-oz pkg M & Ms
A handful of raisins
1. In large bowl mix popcorn, Chex cereals and pretzels
2. In microwave bowl, mix oil and chocolate chips. On 50% power melt chocolate chips stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
3. Pour chocolate over popcorn mix and stir to coat.
4. Add in M & Ms and craisins, stir again to fully coat.
5. Pour out on wax paper for chocolate to cool and set. Within about 30 minutes it should be set enough to break up into smaller pieces. Done!
...and that pile of gray yarn, mid-table? happy birthday to me (again!) ... and a tale for another day!