Friday, November 11, 2016

Cheers | Fall Classic.

I was inspired by Carole a few weeks back to pickup some apple cider and ginger beer and try a new bourbon cocktail. I found the cider, but not the beer and my sister suggested I try her favorite fall cocktail - a Fall Classic.

Thank goodness the apple cider keeps well, because it took me a while to track down the rest of the ingredients (apple brandy and thyme simple syrup). I finally mixed up a batch of these last weekend and knew I had to share it with y'all.

Fall Classic
(from Bon Appetit, November 2012)

1/2 cup sugar
15 sprigs thyme
2 tablespoons apple brandy (I used Laird's)
2 tablespoons bourbon
2 tablespoons fresh apple cider
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 dash of Angostura bitters

Make a 1:1 simple syrup with sugar and water. After mixture boils, remove pan from heat. Add thyme sprigs and let syrup cool completely. Remove thyme sprigs.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add 1 tablespoon thyme simple syrup and the rest of the ingredients. Shake well and strain into a martini glass (I kept a few ice cubes - I like my bourbon really really cold). Garnish with an apple slice.

I mixed another batch yesterday so I could take the photos. Delighted how well the cocktail goes with my knitting. (and that so much stockinette goes well with a cocktail!)

Cheers to the weekend. and to happy hours!

13 comments:

  1. That looks really tasty! I may just mix up a batch this evening. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect for Thanksgiving cocktails. Thanks for sharing and I LOVE that cocktail napkin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were I a bourbon drinker - or any cocktail, for that matter - I'd definitely try this, even with a bit of stitching, perhaps knitting? Fun post; brought a smile, chuckle out loud. Thanks, thanks. Enjoy your FriYay!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful...I'm going to share with my son who, with his girlfriend, is hosting Thanksgiving (again) this year. LOVE the napkin!!! Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very important that the cocktails match the knitting in every way!! Happy weekend, Mary!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things I appreciate about you and your blog - your willingness to mix up a batch of cocktails so you could take photos for your readers! It sounds delicious, and I LOVE that knitting bag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh! I might do a riff on this tonight - I do not have Apple Cider, but I do have Hard Cider and I think that just might work (bonus in that my thyme is off the charts right now!!) THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun cocktail, but I'll take my MM neat please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good and does look so pretty with your knitting! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sentiment in your final photo! I'm not a great cocktail drinker (mixing things gives me a headache) but this looks and sounds very seasonal ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds yummy I already have the cider and bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delicious! I may mix a batch for the Thanksgiving crowd myself. And I'm with you on all things matchy match!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!