|the bounty of sara's thanksgiving desserts from 2008 - my favorite pecan pie is featured in the green pieplate|
1. my mom's pecan pie - it's the one featured in the photo above and it's special because it doesn't have any corn syrup in it. I love that sara makes it now and she wrote about the recipe here.
2, 3, 4. apple pie - love it with the apples piled really high. and added nuts are a bonus. in a double crust like in this one, or in sour cream, or with a crumble topping. (and if anyone knows another way to make apple pie, I'd happily add it to my list!)
5. key lime pie - the "traditional" kind like the pioneer woman posted about yesterday is delicious, but the barefoot contessa has a frozen one that's even better.
6. ice cream pie - sadly I've lost the recipe, but we made it with an oreo crust, filled with softened ice cream and topped with a frosting made from melted marshmallows and chocolate chips.
7. pumpkin pie - I'm the only one in my family who likes this, so I usually get my pumpkin dessert fix some other way, like a bread pudding or a cheesecake (and that is by no means a complaint!). my mom also makes a wonderful frozen pumpkin pie that has pumpkin folded in with vanilla ice cream and the wonderful pie spices in a graham cracker crust.
8. peach pie - only in the summer with fresh peaches. best with vanilla ice cream.
...and closing out the list, two savory ones:
9. pot pie - chicken is delicious, and the barefoot contessa has a recipe for one that uses lobster that I've always wanted to try.
10. crab quiche - I haven't made this in many years, and I wonder if I'd still think it was so good? I remember it used a can of crab, swiss cheese, onions and not too many eggs. I may just let my memory stand for #10!
Go here if you would like to sign up for the Ten on Tuesday mailing list.