Tuesday, March 15, 2011

10 favorite kinds of pie.

the bounty of sara's thanksgiving desserts from 2008 - my favorite pecan pie is featured in the green pieplate
ah, pie. I'm wondering if carole selected this topic because yesterday was pi day? I was feeling like a big math geek that I knew about pi day until the pioneer woman posted about it. I think that means it's gone mainstream now.

1. my mom's pecan pie - it's the one featured in the photo above and it's special because it doesn't have any corn syrup in it. I love that sara makes it now and she wrote about the recipe here.

2, 3, 4. apple pie - love it with the apples piled really high. and added nuts are a bonus. in a double crust like in this one, or in sour cream, or with a crumble topping. (and if anyone knows another way to make apple pie, I'd happily add it to my list!)

5. key lime pie - the "traditional" kind like the pioneer woman posted about yesterday is delicious, but the barefoot contessa has a frozen one that's even better.

6. ice cream pie - sadly I've lost the recipe, but we made it with an oreo crust, filled with softened ice cream and topped with a frosting made from melted marshmallows and chocolate chips.

7. pumpkin pie - I'm the only one in my family who likes this, so I usually get my pumpkin dessert fix some other way, like a bread pudding or a cheesecake (and that is by no means a complaint!). my mom also makes a wonderful frozen pumpkin pie that has pumpkin folded in with vanilla ice cream and the wonderful pie spices in a graham cracker crust.

8. peach pie - only in the summer with fresh peaches. best with vanilla ice cream.

...and closing out the list, two savory ones:

9. pot pie - chicken is delicious, and the barefoot contessa has a recipe for one that uses lobster that I've always wanted to try.

10. crab quiche - I haven't made this in many years, and I wonder if I'd still think it was so good? I remember it used a can of crab, swiss cheese, onions and not too many eggs. I may just let my memory stand for #10!

Go here if you would like to sign up for the Ten on Tuesday mailing list.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't even think of quiche! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crab quiche... what a scrumptious idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe I forgot about quiche! Great list, and I'm bookmarking that no-corn-syrup-pecan-pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. crab quiche, huh? :)

    my kids would go crazy over the ice cream pie - -i'm going to have to look into that.

    love your spring banner! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, fresh peaches in pie are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you and i should probably NOT go to a pie shop, we'd never be able to choose! i have to say pie hole in roswell is pretty darn good. glad my list went in the same direction as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I'm not a hug pie person, but that pumpkin ice cream pie is soo good. I'm surprised pizza isn't on your list...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy. Love the idea of sweet & savory pies. Ever think about opening a pie shop, yourself?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!