Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Planning for Portis.

Next up in my queue is this piece - a poncho with some very cool knitterly details. I've made two Easy Folded Ponchos (and plan to knit a third one this winter). That pattern is a big stockinette rectangle that gets seamed along one long edge to make the neck opening. Portis is a stockinette tube (perfect for knitting stranded colorwork since there's no purling) that gets steeked to turn it into a big stockinette rectangle. The ribbing (that you see along the bottom edge of the photo above) is picked up and knitted from the steeked edge. The only "seam" is a 3-needle bindoff and the neck edge is finished with an applied i-cord.

I've been a fan of the pattern since it came out in 2014, but our LYS just started carrying the called for Brooklyn Tweed Loft a few months back. I've convinced a few of my students to knit along with me. They're anxious to get started, so I figured I'd better start, too. I spent much of yesterday's nap time knitting a swatch.

I went down a needle size from what the pattern suggested and I'm still a little loose (1/4 stitch and 1/2 row per inch). I think another size smaller and I'll be too tight. So - since I think the fabric in my swatch is ok, I'm going to adjust the pattern.

A big stockinette tube with 12 fewer stitches and 12 fewer rows doesn't sound quite so daunting! I'm looking forward to getting started (but ugh, not so much casting on 300+ stitches ;-)  I'm also looking forward to the steek. I've coached a few students through the process, but this will be the first time that I've held the scissors.

Have you ever cut a steek? do you think it's scary or exciting?

9 comments:

  1. No steek experience here but I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. None here either! But you will show us the way! :-) I'm planning on the easy folded pocho this winter too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be lovely! I have cut 2 steeks-just use sharp scissors

    ReplyDelete
  4. No steeks for me; hitchhikers don't need them. :-) Lots of interesting techniques in an interesting poncho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cut a steek once and it wasn't scary because I was using Shetland wool, the traditionally sticky yarn used in Fair Isle sweaters. Being prepared will give you confidence when holding the scissors. Your poncho will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think something can be scary and exciting at the same time - like steeking. : ) It's a lovely project and once again I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You first paragraph alone had several words and as many concepts I couldn't get my head around. Can you tell I am not a knitter? But the photo looks great and I am sure yours will be even better :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above is pretty funny. ;-) As I re-read the first paragraph, I would see why a non-knitter could be scratching her head.

      Delete
    2. indeed! of course I have only two readers who don't knit - my mom and Alexa ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for the feedback!